There were three hills on Onoyama, which was previously an island off Naha: Okinogu was erected on the highest hill Tentouzan, commonly called “Kugani-mui.” Another name for the hill is Tentouzan-Umanuha. Esteemed sacred, Tentou-Zan was revered as a holy place since ancient times.
A stone monument was erected on Tentouzan in March 23, 1956 (lunar year) in accordance to a divine revelation that the main god of Okinogu, Tenjuku Nuryugu Ou Onmikami (Sun Goddess), descended upon Kugani-mui in Uenoya (north of Tomari Elementary School) and is enshrined. Since then, the Spring Festival is held on March 23 of the lunar year.
Tentouzan, the hill at the back of Okinogu, affords a lovely view of city of Naha. The utaki (sacred place) on the hill, which enshrines an ancient stone carved with Sanskrit writings, is said to emit an ethereal energy. Regarded as a sacred hill by psychic people and as the most ancient dwelling of god on Okinawa by the spiritual.
Onoyama Park has many faces.
One face of Onoyama Athletic Park is “Mecca for Sports.” Opened in June 1959 it is Okinawa’s first athletic park. Facilities include Okinawa Celluar Station Naha, a baseball with a capacity of 30,000; a martial arts stadium; an archery ground; swimming pool; tennis courts; and a multi-purpose ground. Most students of schools in Naha have competed in athletic event in these facilities at one time or other. The baseball field, in which several historic high school ball games have benn played is now a summer camp site of the Yomiuri Giants.
Onoyama Park is also known for the numerous festivals held there. Major festivals, like Naha Fetival, Okinawa Industrial Festival and the Ryukyu Kingdom Festival, as well as minor ones draw large crowds.
Were you aware that there are three shrines at Onoyama? They are Yomochi Shrine, Gokoku Shrine and Okinogu Shrine. The fact that Onoyama is a venerable spot is obvious.
Here is a brief history of Onoyama.Though presently connected with Naha by bridges and land reclamation, Onoyama was once an island on the inlet to Man Lake. Therefore, it was inaccessible on foot. During the Edo Period, Onoyoma’s picturesque scenery was featured by acclaimed ukiyoe artist Katushika Hokusai in Eight Views of Ryukyu.